Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Low carb kick off

11/27/2017:  Start of low carb journey

Initial measurements:
Weight: 146 lbs
Waist: 30 inches
Hips: 41 inches
LA and RA 11 inches
L Wrist: 6 inches
R Forearm: 9 inches
Left upper thigh: 25.75 inches
Right upper thigh: 25.5 inches

Body fat calculated: 27%  Used https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bodyfat

I defined low carb as < 50 grams of carbs per day.  There are multiple sites out there that split low carb diets into percentages such as: http://macronutrientcalculator.com

They state a low carb diet would be 25% carbs, 45% protein and 30% fat.  Since my initial diet was already lower in carbs than the typical american diet, I used a lower percentage for my carb intake.  Recommended US intake is carb 45-65% daily intake.  I used : https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-low-carb-is-low-carb  and set my upper carb limit at 50 grams or 10% of my daily intake.  I didn't really care about setting my protein or fats, but didn't want to go to high on the fat considering I will be doing the keto diet next. 

I downloaded the app 'Stupid Simple Macros' to keep track of my diet and set my setting at 10% carbs (50 grams), 50% fat and 40% protein. 

The difficulty with the app and eating at the dining hall is I have to allow time to google servings sizes and guess on how much I am eating.  On day one I had only 26 carbs per my app.  Most of my carbs came from broccoli and zucchini.  I feel like i was a little to strict the first day and could have added some more carbs into my diet in the form of dairy (cheese).  By dinner time I was way under my calorie intake for the day and had to eat an additional serving of tuna in order to make calories.

My food day:  1506 calories, 26g carbs (7%), 86g fat (51%) and 157.3g protein (42%)

My exercise day: 
treadmill 40 sec on, 20 sec off at 7.5mph for 20 min
Bench squats at 70lbs (12,10,8 drop (70,60,40), 8 drop, 8)
Lunges at 20 lbs 10 each leg X 3 sets
Hamstring curls 10 each leg at 20lbs 3 sets
Leg lefts 10 x 3 sets

Overall:  Seems pretty easy so far.  Have not started withdrawing from sugar yet.  The biggest hurdle today was weighing and measuring myself and realizing how far I had gotten out of shape.  I took before pictures also, but I''ll keep those to myself for now :-) Predeployment eating did not help, but it was worth it.  I continue counting all my calories as the app does it automatically, but for a low carb diet you really don't need to.  More to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment